Thursday, March 12, 2009

Baltimore, Beer-ltimore, Bar-ltimore.

The good news is that my wife has been in a good mood for a few days . The bad news is that she still thinks that my blog sucks. I can't blame her. I only read my blog because I am the one who writes it. And even then, I read only while I write it. The proof of what I am saying is that you can find more typos in my website than Seagull poop in Fort McHenry's lawn (Sorry, my wife just edited out all the poop from this page to avoid public humiliation).

OK. Let's talk about Baltimore.

I have to say that I was impressed by the enormous amount of neighborhoods bars in Baltimore when I first moved here. I've traveled extensively all over the US, and have never seen a city with neighborhoods so crowded with bars like Baltimore. In the end, it is all just for a good reason - Baltimore people are love fun. It's not for nothing that Baltimore was elected the best alternative scene by Rolling Stone Magazine in 2008.

Baltimore is much more fun than DC, I can tell you that much. DC is a city without a soul. Most of people who live there weren't born there and are planning to leave as soon as possible. The average young Washingtonian is a lounge goer, daily Starbucks latte drinker, desk worker, condo dweller, apartment dog owner. DC has many more apartment dogs than children. This last sentence alone should be enough for you to understand what DC is about.

Anyway, enough bashing DC. This blog is about Beer Bar-ltimore fun town.

One of the things that I most appreciate about Baltimore is the availability of high quality locally brewed and international beers. That is just amazing. Here is a list of the main places where you can find beer that will drive your soul to a whole level of sublime spiritual development.


Clipper City (Brewery) - "Currently Clipper City Brewing produces over 14 styles of ales and lagers, is distributed in over 18 states and has won hundreds of International, National, and regional awards." - Cut and Pasted straight from their website.

The Brewer's Art (Brewery & brewpub) - The brew their beer on premises and they also have a large selection of imported beer. The food is great. The atmosphere is great. Located inside a beautiful historic building. They need a better website though.

The Wharf Rat (Brewpub) - Their ales (Oliver Ales) are "open fermented, fined and dry hopped. Served at 54F and dispensed by pumps. As "true and proper" as ales found in any English pub". Their website states an address in downtown Baltimore, but as I was told by one of their managers, that place has been sold. They only have the Fells Point place now.

Max's Tap House - They don't brew their own beer, but their website sates that they have the East Coast's largest fresh beer selection. They've been rated as the 18th best beer bar in the world by Ratebeer.com survey in 2007, and voted Best Beer Selection by City paper in 2005.
You should check out their "Tuesday beer social" with beer tasting and guest speakers.

Mahaffey's Pub - House of the "100 beers club" and of the meeting place of "Cross Street Irregulars Brew Club" based here in Baltimore is one of the oldest homebrew clubs in Maryland. "This club’s primary mission is to promote the art and science of homebrewing, offer technical assistance, skills, and experience to homebrewers."

DuClaw Brewery - I don't know what to say about it. I've never been there and never tried their beer. They got a B- (Very good) from Beeradvocate.com and a so-so rating from Ratebeer.com. I admit that I am a little suspicious about chain companies in general.

And last on the list, but not the least (Actually, to tell the truth, the least) :P

Pub Dog (Draft House) - Their house-brewed craft beer is not great, but it is fun. Their special is two mugs of their house crafted beer for $4.00. Paying that kind of price for the beer, I shouldn't complain about its quality. It is the only place where one can find a decent selection of imported (or any) beer in Federal Hill too. That means in in Federal Hill, regarding beer, one has two choices: Pub Dog's beers or Dog pee beer (ex. Bud light, Miller, Heineken, Pabst,...).

I am tired now. Enough blogging.

3 comments:

  1. Mahaffey's is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Abbey Burger Bistro near No Way Jose has a pretty nice beer selection, plus a delicious burger with bacon and a fried egg on top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buy beer pong accessories
    like a beer pong table, beer pong cup set, pool beer pong rack set and much more at Barhobby.com

    ReplyDelete